Thursday, October 22, 2009

DAY 3: Boxing / Poverty

Yesterday was a bit of an up-down day in terms of how I felt about this trip.  The day was to serve as a day of rest...but ended up being activity filled...very good in all...

Two primary activities yesterday (aside from eating...) was walking about 45 minutes to a large park and first training session with my muay thai instructor.

PARK WALK - POVERTY:  

I had gotten some sad news about a friend of a friend and her battle with several types of cancer.  I usually don't like to hear about these types of events because it really gets me down...and that certainly affected me...  I had nothing to do in the afternoon so I decided to walk down to a large and oldest park in Bangkok that has a beautiful 3K running loop.  Wow.  SUCH poverty en route. I knew I would experience this...but it's one things to be told...and quite the other to emotional FEEL this.  But again...it's all part of the deal here.  It made me extra reflective...and extra thankful.  But I was alone...and it was a while that also made me reflect that most of the trips I have taken over the years have been by myself...  now if I TRULY analyze this...it is not true...perhaps 50% of them are solo...  but the mind believes what the emotions tell it to at the time...  so it made me sad a bit...  I feel so much...and it would be an amazing thing to share that with someone.  (and right now...that someone is YOU!)  But anyway...  I think i'm done with the experiential traveling for a bit...  I need to focus on my relationships vs. self-enhancement after this trip...  But this is still in line with my bucket theory...you fill one bucket...then you fill the other...  so all is in balance.

But anyway...I had a pretty good run in the heat...6K...not a distance to be proud of...but an event to be proud of as I had just flown in 12 hours ago after a 24 hour trip....and it was 90% and UBER humid out.  I saw one other runner...  But what a beautiful Park!  What impressed me was how at any given time....I would have at least 10-15 park workers in sight...mowing the grass...trimming hedges...watering the flowers.  How proud they were to do their job.  every day.  and the INCREDIBLE beauty and diligence shows...  such a heavenly environment...  I had a great run...not tired one bit...i was happy running.  that is...until I lost one of my headphone ear buds.  CRAP!  going to have to buy a new cheap-O headset...  or maybe run sans for a while...

So I made my way back...better mood...I don't know whether to smile at people or just stare straight ahead...because everyone glares at me as if I was an overgrown human...well...that's debatable...

BOXING:
I came home and showered for the 3rd time that day and went to meet my boxing instructor Kru Ae (his name is Ae...but to show respect for your teacher you attach 'Kru').  I met initially with the owner of the studio and he introduced me to one of the guys that fights for him...and my instructor (named above).  It was a 2 hour work-out and they were very impressed with my strength...something I attribute to my golden trainer Kesley...  How I prize a strong body!  it's nice to match the external with the internal.  That balance is important to me.  The studio is outside on a roof (but covered on top - the sides are open)...it was beautiful!  I sweat the entire two hours...and working on the detailed technique reminded me of dancing last year...I'm going to start that back up when I get back in town...or at least in some capacity...(it isn't a cheap sport to say the least!)  There were other fighters training close to me...all male of course...the intensity was unbelievable...  I spoke with one who was an English teacher (he also told me I should move to Bangkok as 'there are plenty of jobs!'...going to wait on that suggestion...)...frankly the only one that I could speak to....even my instructor didn't speak english...we did a lot of 'signing...' 

I left the training session elated.  being very competitive this makes sense...

So there you have it....an up and down kind of day...  just finished off my 4th bowl of banana chip cereal...going to go for a run in the park with my two VolunThai buddies...Mary Lou (60s...) and Trevor (my buffer)...

Boxing this afternoon...I CANT WAIT!

LOVE to all...

K

No comments:

Post a Comment