Sunday, November 15, 2009

Another perfect BKK weekend...

3:30 AM on Monday morning. Writing you from Pee Puey's luxury Nissan (anyone else surprised they manufacture these...?)

She had that wedding in Bangkok this weekend - so she said it would be great if I could drive with her... She failed to mention she would be leaving at 3 AM (not sure yet how/if we plan on making it to teach my first class at 8 am with a 6 hour drive...but...not my decision...)

My conversation around 5 PM today was as follows (and isn't atypical for a thai conversation...):

Me: So...what time do you think you'll be ready to leave...? I just want to make sure I'm close to my hotel if I go get food...

PP: oh don't worry...! I come when I'm done...maybe soon...maybe we go tomorrow...I'll call you later....

Me: uhm...okay...

"Maybe soon...maybe tomorrow..."!? Wow...that's quite the time spread...

The weekend was lovely, as expected...

Arrived Friday...dinner with Willie and Brian (Willie in photo below) at the local street joint...bed soon thereafter for the long shopping day the next morning!

Successful morning with a foot massage to cap it off and then off to the gym and the movies! Or so was the plan...

It started POURING! Brian and I were mid-walk to the gym and had to take cover...it was really beautiful to watch the rain...I loved it...

Due to rain...gym was put on hold until Sunday and we went to go see the movie 2012...nothing to write home about...uber crap...but great special effects... LOVE how you have to stand up before the movie for the (country/king?) anthem...

After the movie, I wanted to find a little place where we could bring a bottle of wine to have with dinner....impossible feat... if we could source the actual wine...couldn't source a restaurant w/ a corkscrew... We went to a GREAT rooftop bar instead with live music and had GIANT towers of Chang beer (in the photos...) Fun evening...great convo, as always....

Next day...(Sunday), ended-up going to the gym (no actual exertion...) and hanging out at the absolutely beautiful pools at the Century Hotel...was reading some GREAT articles in a psychology mag I bought earlier that afternoon (for TEN dollars!)... So a perfect Sunday pool-side in my new $6 suit (also pic of me and my hair flower)...

Then we went to go check out some apartments nearby (great area of BKK) where Brian will most-likely live (in pics)... I was VERY impressed...the neighborhood, the building, the apartment...and the common areas where UNBELIEVABLE! I'm not impressed easily...but I was impressed!! A furnished and beautiful 1-bedroom in a fantastic QUIET neighborhood (so much foliage and not a piece of garbage/dog in sight!) WITH all utilities and an amazing deck and parking (including wireless internet) would run $400/month! I think the 1-bed was 50 cubed meters...+/- 2 m.

Dinner with Willie after (finally had some yummy curry!) followed by two games of scrabble! Lost the first game by 2 points (3-person game) and second by much more :)

A bit rusty perhaps... :)

So here I am...one hour into the return trip....very very sleepy...but don't feel right letting her drive while I sleep...

We'll see how this Monday goes...

3 weeks to Angkor Wat race!

22 days to the ORD runway!

1-month to bday!!



Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment