Monday, November 9, 2009

It's in the energy folks...

Just wanted to write one more quick note to cap off the 20-mini-notes-kind-of-day...

I was having a crappy day...really lacking motivation and energy as I wrote previously...paired with the inefficient bureaucracy (as if one does not imply the other...), I was dreading another afternoon class...

I discovered the instant-coffee...and while not nearly as tasty as it's Americano cousin in Bangkok (albeit a healthier relative...), it was the catalyst I needed for the afternoon...

The mung beans and coffee gave me the pep I needed when I walked into Class 323..."11th" grade students with a B school-year average...

I wasn't looking forward to the monotonous repertoire that I've been teaching since last Wednesday:  opposites and stressed syllables. 

But the coffee somehow released this energy in me...the energy of FUN!  SANUK!  I felt playful.  I felt like making a fan out of paper.  I felt like teasing the girls with boy stickers all over their notebooks...  I even winked at the boys table!

What difference I saw!  The students had FUN!  They smiled!  They participated with the energy I gave them!  The class was FUN!  And I was rewarded with appreciation and words of affection such as the note posted below...

This was an important realization of something I knew...  The energy you give to a relationship is the pretty close to the output of energy that will be returned...  This is why it's important to ALWAYS calibrate and 'tweak' yourself.  Feeling down?  DO something right away that will make you happy.  No need to go on with poor energy and half-ass teaching.  NO ONE will benefit.  Money is no object here...neither are healthy food choices...  Mood is everything to me right now...  Mood begets energy...  And input energy begets OUTPUT.  Quality ingredients...quality product.

LIVE it.

No comments:

Post a Comment